About Lehigh

Robert Alexander Lamberton

(1880-1893)

Robert Alexander Lamberton graduated from Dickinson College, practiced law in Harrisburg, Pa., and served as a Lehigh trustee before becoming president. During his administration, students and the community witnessed the first Mustard and Cheese dramatic presentation. A gymnasium (now Coppee Hall) was erected and Chandler Chemistry Laboratory was built, now known as Chandler-Ullmann Hall. Building on its reputation for academic excellence, the university established the mechanical engineering department in 1881, and founded the Lehigh chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society in 1887.