Martin Dewey Whitaker was director of the Atomic Energy Commission Laboratory and helped Lehigh readjust to peacetime conditions after World War II. During Whitaker's tenure, Lehigh's assets nearly tripled and the endowment more than doubled to $18 million. Many buildings were renovated, and the Dravo House and McClintic-Marshall House residence halls were built. Packer was renovated and enlarged, and became the University Center in 1958. The number of professors increased by 75 percent, and the first distinguished professorships were established. The Centennial development program, begun in 1959, raised more than $22 million for faculty salaries and construction that later included Whitaker Laboratory. Whitaker died in office.