About Lehigh

Henry Sturgis Drinker '71

(1905-1920)

A lawyer and a mechanical engineer by trade, Henry Sturgis Drinker was also an 1871 Lehigh graduate and the only alumnus ever to become president.  This connection drove President Drinker to establish the alumni endowment fund (1907), the Alumni Bulletin (first published in 1913) and the Alumni Association (incorporated in 1917). During Drinker’s presidency, more buildings were completed: the original section of Fritz Engineering Laboratory, Drown Hall, Coxe Mining Laboratory, Taylor Hall, Taylor Gymnasium and Field House, Taylor Stadium and Lamberton Hall. In 1918, the university was divided into three colleges: liberal arts, business administration and engineering — and Army ROTC was established in 1919.