Our faculty, staff and students hail from across the United States, more than 79 countries, and all walks of life. We treasure this diversity in all its forms. We recognize and embrace our many differences. They make the Lehigh family who we are.
But we also recognize that we are on a journey. We know that we can do much more to foster an environment that is welcoming and collaborative. The commitment to inclusive diversity on our campus has never been stronger.
Lehigh University is first and foremost an educational institution, committed to developing the future leaders of our changing global society. Every member of our community has a personal responsibility to acknowledge and practice the following basic principles.
1. We affirm the inherent dignity in all of us, and we maintain an inclusive and equitable community.
2. We recognize and celebrate the richness contributed to our lives by our diverse community.
3. We promote mutual understanding among the members of our community.
4. We confront and reject discrimination in all its forms, including that based on age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, socio-economics, veteran status or any differences that have been excuses for misunderstanding, dissension or hatred.
5. We affirm academic freedom within our community and uphold our commitment to the highest standards of respect, civility, courtesy and sensitivity toward every individual.
6. We recognize each person’s right to think and speak as dictated by personal belief and to respectfully disagree with or counter another’s point of view.
7. We promote open expression of our individuality and our differences within the bounds of University policies.
8. We acknowledge each person’s obligation to the community of which we have chosen to be a part.
9. We take pride in building and maintaining a culture that is founded on these principles of unity and respect.
Vice Provost for Academic Diversity
"Lehigh has a promising path ahead of us — a path on which diversity and inclusion are both milestones and measures of success."
Staff and faculty have attended series diversity and inclusion workshops given by the VISIONS Group, which offers an insight-driven training and consulting model that empowers clients to become catalysts for change within their communities.
Diversity and inclusion working groups have been established across majority units at the university. The creation of these groups is designed to provide opportunity for broad and sustained engagement around diversity issues.
Students, faculty and staff were trained on gender violence prevention, reporting and resources during the 2014-15 academic year
Members of Lehigh’s Pride Network, an organization that provides support for LGBTQ faculty and staff, and a place for allies and advocates who are interested in fostering and sustaining a welcoming and affirming climate on campus for LGBTQ people.
Staff, faculty, and Lehigh trustees attended diversity and inclusion workshops offered by the Cornell Interactive Theatre Ensemble (CITE) from Cornell University.
Members of the Council for Equity and Community, a committee of Lehigh faculty, staff, and students committed to serving as a campus resource and agent of cultural change.