How to Apply for Financial Aid
Review the required steps and materials needed to apply for financial aid, grants and scholarships.
We encourage all applicants to apply for financial aid, regardless of a family’s financial circumstance; however, not all families may demonstrate the financial need to qualify for certain types of aid. Be sure to be as thorough as possible when completing the necessary forms to provide a complete picture of your family’s financial circumstances.
Please follow the steps below to determine exactly what you will need to provide in your application for aid. Lehigh's Office of Financial Aid invites you to contact them to discuss the application process below. For U.S. citizens, it's also helpful to take a moment to estimate your potential need using the Net Price Calculator. We strongly encourage families to contact our office if you utilize this tool to discuss the results in greater detail.
Financial Aid Application Steps
The following steps are required for all incoming, domestic students who are applying for need-based institutional aid. If you are applying for federal aid only, you will only need to submit the FAFSA.
- School code: 003289
- We strongly encourage use of the IRS Data retrieval tool to complete the FAFSA.
Complete the 2021-2022 CSS Profile
- School Code: 2365
- Submit a separate CSS Profile for each parent if legal parents are not married and do not live together
Submit 2019 federal income tax return
- If either parent is required to file a tax return, please submit a signed copy of their 2019 federal income tax return, along with all accompanying schedules & W-2 forms.
- If the student is required to file a tax return, please submit a signed copy of the 2019 federal income tax return, along with all accompanying schedules & W-2 forms. Please submit all 2019 W-2’s if the student is not required to file.
- If either parent is self-employed or an owner (part or full) of a corporation/partnership, submit signed copies of the 2019 business tax returns (Schedule C, corporate tax returns and/or partnership tax returns).
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) Waiver (recommended, not required)
- Complete this form to allow the Office of Financial Aid to provide financial aid information to parents or third parties.
Please note: This is not an exhaustive list of documents that might be requested. Students should check the applicant portal to view outstanding requirements and to confirm receipt of application materials.
International students who are applying for need-based financial aid need to submit the CSS Profile and the Certification of Finances form. If you are undocumented or have DACA status, please submit all of the items listed above with the exception of the FAFSA.
Lehigh is NOT an IDOC participating school. Parent and student tax information and any supplemental documentation should be submitted directly to the Office of Financial Aid at Lehigh University or by mail.
For a master list with links to all applications and forms related to the need-based financial aid process, please visit the forms page on the Office of Financial Aid site. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm that all application materials are received by the deadline.
If there are circumstances or special items you wish to have considered during your financial aid review, you can submit a written statement with your financial aid application. Additionally, we welcome and encourage you to contact Lehigh’s Office of Financial Aid to speak with your Financial Aid Counselor about your circumstances.
Important Financial Aid Deadlines
|Student Type||Application Deadline||Award Notification|
|Early Decision I||November 1||Mid-December|
|Early Decision II||January 1||Mid-February|
|Regular Decision||February 1 |
(Non-U.S. citizens: January 1)
|Current Students||March 15||Late June|
|Fall Transfer||April 1||Late May|
|Spring Transfer||November 1||Late December|