How to Apply for Financial Aid
Review the required steps and materials needed to apply for financial aid, grants and scholarships.
We encourage all applicants to apply for financial aid. Be sure to submit all financial aid application materials on or before the specified deadlines listed below to ensure that you are fully considered for need-based institutional financial aid. It is important that you paint a clear and comprehensive picture of your family’s financial circumstances as not all families may demonstrate the financial need necessary to qualify for certain types of aid. Lehigh’s Office of Financial Aid invites you to contact them to discuss the application process if you need assistance. Each student has an assigned financial aid counselor to help with all of your financial aid questions. Please don’t hesitate to reach out!
For U.S. citizens, it's also helpful to take a moment to estimate your potential need using the Net Price Calculator. We strongly encourage families to contact our office if you utilize this tool to discuss the results in greater detail.
Financial Aid Application Steps
Here is a step-by-step guide to help you determine exactly what financial aid application materials you must submit. This is not an exhaustive list of documents that might be requested and applicants should check their portal to view any additional requested documents and to confirm receipt of all application materials. Applicants will have access to an applicant portal upon submission of their application for admission. Within 48 hours after the submission of your application for admission to Lehigh University, you will be assigned a “Lehigh Identification Number” (LIN). Your LIN will appear on your applicant portal below the “Important Information” section. We may ask for your LIN when you submit your financial aid application or if you contact the Office of Financial Aid with questions.
Note: If you are applying for federal aid only, you will only need to submit the FAFSA.
Submit the 2023-2024 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- This is a required application material for only U.S. Citizens and eligible non-U.S. Citizens.
- School code: 003289
- We strongly encourage use of the IRS Data retrieval tool to complete the FAFSA.
- Please note that if you are applying for federal aid only and do not wish to be considered for institutional aid, you will only need to submit the FAFSA.
Complete the 2023-2024 College Board CSS Profile
- This is a required application material for all applicants (including U.S. Citizens, eligible non-U.S. Citizens, undocumented applicants, applicants with DACA status, and international) that are applying for institutional need-based aid.
- School Code: 2365
- Please note that if your legal parents do not live together, both of your parents (your custodial parent and your noncustodial parent) will need to complete a separate CSS Profile.
Submit 2021 federal income and business returns via the Lehigh Financial Aid Document Upload Center
- This is a required application material for any applicant whose parent(s)’ file a U.S. tax return.
- If any parent (custodial/ noncustodial) is required to file a tax return, please submit a signed copy of their 2021 federal income tax return, along with all accompanying schedules & W-2 forms.
- If any parent (custodial/ noncustodial) is self-employed or an owner (part or full) of a corporation/partnership, submit signed copies of the 2021 business tax returns (Schedule C, corporate tax returns and/or partnership tax returns).
- If the student is required to file a tax return, please submit a signed copy of the 2021 federal income tax return, along with all accompanying schedules & W-2 forms. Please submit all 2021 W-2’s if the student is not required to file.
- Please note that Lehigh is NOT an IDOC participating school. Parent and student tax information and any supplemental documentation should be submitted directly to the Office of Financial Aid at Lehigh University via the FinAid Doc Center or U.S. Mail.
Certificate of Finances (non-citizen applicants only)
All non-U.S. citizens who will need financial aid during any of their years enrolled at Lehigh are required to submit the Lehigh University Certificate of Finances form filled out for all intended years of undergraduate enrollment and to submit it by the application deadline. Please submit this form through your Lehigh Applicant Portal: see the Admissions Checklist. If you haven’t done so, you must create an Applicant Portal by going to www.lehigh.edu/openapplicantportal once you submit your Lehigh application. This URL is only used to create your account. For subsequent logins, please visit www.lehigh.edu/applicantportal. To be considered for need based financial aid, you must also submit the CSS Profile through the College Board.
Both the Lehigh Certificate of Finances and CSS Profile must be submitted by your application deadline. For instance, if applying Early Decision 1, then the forms are due November 1, and if applying Regular Decision or Early Decision 2, then the forms are due by January 1.
For a master list with links to all applications and forms related to the need-based financial aid process, please visit the forms page on the Office of Financial Aid site. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm that all application materials are received by the deadline.
If there are circumstances or special items you wish to have considered during your financial aid review, you can submit a written statement with your financial aid application. Additionally, we welcome and encourage you to contact Lehigh’s Office of Financial Aid to speak with your Financial Aid Counselor about your circumstances.
Important Financial Aid Deadlines
|Student Type||Application Deadline||Award Notification|
|Early Decision I||November 1||Mid-December|
|Early Decision II||January 1||Mid-February|
|Regular Decision||January 15
(Non-U.S. citizens: January 1)
|Current Students||March 15||Late June|
|Fall Transfer||April 1||Late May|
|Spring Transfer||November 1||Late December|